Friday, October 12, 2012

The Bonus Room Chronicles: Step 3: Put Up Wall Of Frames

Well, hello Bonus Room Chronicles. Back so soon????

Yes, The Bonus Room Chronicles are back and riding on the steam that Bobby Barker brought 2 days ago.


You can thank my number one fan (my mom) for the quick reappearance of the funky, retro bonus room. She was getting antsy... she wants the after picture up on the blog and she wants it now. Well, it isn't going to happen yet, mama. But I will post away on the chronicles to get it up sooner for you.


Welcome to Step 3: Put up wall of frames.





I have lots of wonderful friends and family that I want to see all the time but can't. I decided a photo wall would be the next best thing. 

Here is what I did:



  • I gathered all of the photos that I really wanted to display. Since I never got around to making a wedding album, I made sure to include my favorite shots from my wedding.

  • I went through and found every unused paintable frame in the house and painted them black.  Some of these frames had been used so many times that they had five or six layers of paint.  I also had a number of black frames that I bought that way.  I did not have to buy a single frame for this project.   

  • I measured the area where the photos would go. Then I made a spot on the floor that was the same size.
  • I got on the floor and went to work. I started putting frames in the middle and worked out. I just wanted a draft for how many frames I could fit and what arrangements looked the best.
  • To fill some awkward spaces and to make it more interesting, I put a couple large frames over a couple of grouping of frames.
  • Then I busted out the hammer and nails. I made some mistakes. There are plenty of extra holes hiding behind those nails. I wasn't too worried about it because there are already going to be a lot of holes to patch.




In the end, this staircase went from this (THE BEFORE PIC):






To this (THE AFTER PIC):

Cora always runs to the bottom of these steps and points at Groom Scott saying dad incessantly.  After I have acknowleded that that is, in fact, dad she starts pointing and whispering "pop-pop-pop-pop-pop." Pop is what Cora calls Scott's dad.




If you don't want the extra holes and you have more patience than I do follow the advice of someone like this. They do an excellent job of planning out every detail and making their wall perfect.


Step Team in full force below:


The Bonus Room Chronicles Introduction Post

Step 1: Move in. Paint the walls. Put up curtains. Put up art. Paint orange design. Paint polka dots.

Step 2Put up wire display.

Step 3Put up wall of frames.

Step 4Move furniture around. Get rid of TV. Add bed.

Step 5: Part 1Part 2Part 3Build window seat and built in bookcases.

Step 6Change out the bifold doors

Step 7: Part 1.  Part 2Part 3Finishing touches




Grandparent Side Note: As you know, Cora is in the running for worst napper in the history of the world. 
Cora's very compassionate, and amazing pediatrician wants me to wait an hour (aka an eternity) before I give up on each nap and take her out of the crib. 

Here she is showing off her sleeping skills. Look at that little baby napping in her crib!



Next week, I'm writing a post for you about how to deal with any amount of Crying It Out (CIO).... also known as The Grandmother's Worst Nightmare.

On a happier note: It's FRIDAY!!!! The weekend is just hours away!

1 comment:

  1. The wall of photos looks great (in real life and in these photos)! You're an amazing decorator.

    ReplyDelete