Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Bonus Room Chronicles: Step 4: Furniture Rearranging!


The Bonus Room Chronicles are back and I know someone is going to be excited... Grandmama, I am talking to you! I am sorry that they went on hiatus but we are about to be one step closer to the big reveal.


Today, we are flying top speed into the world of:


Step 4: Move furniture around. Get rid of TV. Add bed.


After that, there are only 3 steps until the big reveal!!!!

Step 4 came about when we lost a guest bedroom to Cora's nursery. We decided to change around the furniture in the bonus room to make it better fit our needs.

I don't jump into anything without a ridiculous amount of time on Google Images and a template or two!

I measured the room, drew it up on graph paper. Then I measured and cut out all of the possible furniture. (Yes, I am a major nerd who used to have way too much time on her hands).

My Template!

We couldn't figure out a way to make it all work... even with the template! 


There were too many pieces to consider:
  • the window seat and built in bookcases we knew we wanted to build
  • the guest bed (couldn't lose that considering how many visitors we got when Cora came on the scene)
  • the desk
  • the couch and coffee table
  • a few chairs
  • a seating area with a table
  • a play area for Cora
  • didn't want to lose the funky retro vibe
  • 2 sets of bifold doors that took up the majority of one of the longest walls in the room
  • a TV and entertainment center


Finally, Scott suggested that we ditch the TV. I was majorly into that idea. He realized that we could use one of his TWO monitors as a TV if we ever really wanted to watch TV upstairs. You can turn the monitor easily to watch it from the bed or the couch.

That TV dump was all I needed to get the template to work in my favor!

Here is what the room looked like before the big transition.









And here is the post-template retro funky bonus room!








Here is a sneak peak at the view from the built in bookshelves/ window seat you get to see in the next step!


Step Team in full force below:


Step 1: Move in. Paint the walls. Put up curtains. Put up art. Paint orange design. Paint polka dots.

Step 2Put up wire display.


Step 3Put up wall of frames.


Step 4: Move furniture around. Get rid of TV. Add bed.


Step 5: Part 1. Part 2. Part 3. Build window seat and built in bookcases
 

Step 6: Change out the bifold doors


Step 7: Final touches


7 comments:

  1. I am getting excited!!
    Love the sneak view from the window seat. It is very relaxing looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best commenter ever! Oops I forgot the WYR today. I guess this week it goes on a Monday. Next week, I'll start the Weekly WYR Wednesday.

      Delete
  2. This room serves so many purposes. It's great! I wonder if i can get my bonus room to do all this. Lovin your funky retro style as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has worked really well for us. Wait until you see the final product with the built in shelves and window seat. They are by far my favorite part of the room!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete