Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Bonus Room Chronicles: Step 2: Put Up Wire Display

Welcome back to The Bonus Room Chronicles!

I'm so glad you could join us on this lovely Wednesday morning!

I'm going to jump right in because I don't know if you can handle any more suspense. This is probably one of the most anticipated steps in history. THIS is the step where Bob Barker joins us! In case you missed it, we've been talking about Mr. Barker's arrival a lot over the last few days (here and here).


(146 words until Bobby B enters the HIZZIE!!)

I decided I needed a way to display lots of photos in my funky, retro bonus room. So, I channeled my room growing up when I decided to display a bunch of random pictures in my funky, retro bonus room. In my room, I had pictures of Johnny Depp, Mary Tyler Moore, and placemats from Hardees on the walls and ceiling. For the bonus room, I decided to clip the pictures onto wires to display them.

What I did:

Step 1. (aka two more steps until Bob Man): I got 12 tiny eye hooks from a hardware store. They look like this:

Step 2. (aka one more step until Bobizino): I also got some galvanized steel wire from a hardware store.


Step 3. (aka THE BOB BARKER STEP): I went through my collection of awesome things and found my Stevie Wonder, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" album (also pictured here), some art postcards, a couple cool photos my sister took, and a BOB BARKER autographed photo. 

Step 4. I did the measuring and decided where I wanted the wire to hang. I put the eye hooks in. I looped the wire around one hook. Then I looped the wire around the hook on the other side. Tada! I had a line of wire ready to display my goods!


Step 5. The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to find teeny, tiny, little clothespins. I couldn't even find them online. Lucky for you I found them and can let you in on the secret. Those itsy bitsy, little sneaky things hide out at A.C. Moore (they did about 5 years ago anyway).


Step 6. Now it was time for the fun! Putting Bob Barker on display. OK, I may have blown this Bobby Barker thing out of proportion. Neither Scott nor I really care two hoots about Bobby B. But for some reason Scott saw something online where you could sign up to get a free autographed photo of Bob Barker. So, he did it. Who knows why. And, yes, this goes against what I said here about us not getting things just because they are a good deal. So, Bob, Stevie, random postcards and some cool photos went up. 


In the end, I turned this staircase into:
THE BEFORE PIC



THIS STAIRCASE!
THE AFTER PIC


And from another angle:

Just a little side note for grandparents: See that picture frame to the right... it has 3 photos of Wake Forest stuff that I made for Scott. One of the photos is Wake's mascot, The Demon Deacon, on a motorcycle. Whenever Cora sees it she says "vroom vroom."

This would be great for someone who has children with ever-changing artwork. It would also work for someone who has a husband who, for some unknown reason, sent away for a free signed photo of Bob Barker.  

Another good thing about it is that it keeps the fridge clutter free.  


One more look at the steps that will make that funky, retro bonus room what it is today:


The Bonus Room Chronicles Introduction Post

Step 1: Move in. Paint the walls. Put up curtains. Put up art. Paint orange design. Paint polka dots.

Step 2Put up wire display.

Step 3Put up wall of frames.

Step 4Move furniture around. Get rid of TV. Add bed.

Step 5: Part 1Part 2Part 3Build window seat and built in bookcases.

Step 6Change out the bifold doors

Step 7: Part 1.  Part 2Part 3Finishing touches




Things are calming down here a bit now that Bob is out in the open. Happy Wednesday! I hope to see you tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice!!
    I love your photo gallery on the opposite wall, hope you will feature those as well one day!
    No Cora photo but at least a Cora quip!

    ReplyDelete